26.7 miles from Mitchell Lake
(Please read the following DETAILS and RATES THOROUGHLY for important information about check-in/check-out times, amenities, Extra Guest Fee for 3rd or 4th guests, and other policies such as for Pets or Smoking. When submitting your inquiry please tell us something about yourself and those accompanying you, and a bit about the purpose of your trip. Thanks!))
You don't have to sacrifice tranquility and beauty for convenience. Meadow Lake Cabin is relaxing, private, and cozy, with a picturesque meadow, stream and fishing lake just a few steps from the porch swing. Yet nearby are parks, restaurants, and shops. It's the perfect accommodation for couples, solo adventurers, and business travelers. While the owners live in another house on the property, guests have the cabin all to themselves.
Meadow Lake Cabin is a hidden gem in scenic Shelby County Alabama. Though convenient to shopping, restaurants, recreation venues, and the city of Birmingham, sometimes locals are surprised to find out about our "hide-away" in the heart of Chelsea.
The cabin has a large room downstairs with a living room (sleeper sofa, chairs, desk, & stone fireplace), dining area (seats 4), equipped kitchen and bathroom. The bathroom features an antique claw-foot tub for baths or showers. Upstairs is a sleeping loft with a queen-size bed. The full-length front porch is furnished with a swing, love seat, and charcoal grill. There is an outdoor shower behind the cabin. The cabin is surrounded by woods, flowering shrubs, and a bamboo grove behind, with open views of the meadow and lake in front.
Our check-in time is 3 p.m. Central. Check-out time is 10 a.m. Central. Please DON"T assume we're okay with arrival or departure times different from these. These times are based on our personal schedules, that are necessary for hosting you and others, and arriving early or departing late isn't acceptable without previous approval.
Our breakfast items usually include fresh fruit, several cereal choices, whole milk, good coffee, tea selection, half & half cream, fresh orange juice, English muffins, jams. and butter.
We're situated on 3.5 acres. Guests have access to the front meadow, a seasonal stream, 6-acre lake with dock (canoeing and fishing only on our end of the lake), lakeside benches, and our salt-system swimming pool (located behind our home) with patio dining tables.
Our lake is home to Largemouth Bass and several turtle species, and periodically visited by Great Blue & Green Herons, Canada Geese, Wood Ducks, Kingfishers, Muskrats, & Beavers.
We believe informality is a key ingredient of relaxation, and it begins when you arrive. We allow guests to let themselves in and get settled, and enjoy meeting them later when possible. We're always glad to recommend places to visit, shop, or eat at in our area, or otherwise make ourselves available to help.
Our cabin is located just off a county road, but on a private lane that's only used by the few residents living on it. There is some daytime commuter traffic noise on the county road and a railroad crossing about 1/2 mile away. Chelsea has small-town character, but easy access to big-city amenities. Surrounding Shelby County has many quiet and scenic roads to explore. Within 15 minutes you can find great dining and shopping options, a large cinema, and any number of services. Our county seat, Columbiana has a pleasant Main Street to stroll, complete with a drugstore soda fountain. Columbiana also lays claim to a small gem of a museum with the second largest collection of George & Martha Washington memorabilia outside of Mt. Vernon!
Meadow Lake is approximately 30 minutes drive from downtown Birmingham, 40 minutes drive from Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (23 mi or 37 km), 2.5 hours from Hartsfield-Atlanta Airport (152 mi or 245 km), 30 minutes from Amtrak Birmingham rail station (19 mi or 30 km), and less than 30 minutes from Interstates 65, 20, or 459.
Here are some important Rules of the House that our guests should know:
- We respect our guests' right to a quiet getaway, and ask them to also respect the peacefulness we enjoy. Evening quiet hours are from 10pm to 7am, but we like for Meadow Lake to be a tranquil place all day. Loud volume music or other entertainment isn't allowed on the property. Full disclosure: on weekends (mostly on Sundays) our children and grandchildren occasionally enjoy the afternoon in our home, so there is more activity on the grounds at this time (usually from 1-6 p.m.).
- No smoking is permitted in the Cabin, pool area, or the immediate area of our house. Smoking is permitted on the lawn, and guests must dispose of cigarette butts in their vehicle ashtray or a water bottle.
- We require an accurate statement of the number of guests in your party, and that if there are 3 or 4 that the extra person fee of $12 per person per night be paid through HomeAway in advance of arrival. Cash will not be accepted. There is a limit of 4 people who can be accommodated in the Cabin. There is no extra person fee for children under 1 year old.
- Guests of ours may not invite their own guests into the Cabin or onto the grounds, unless we've given our consent.
- Personal firearms may not be carried openly on the grounds or brought into the Cabin.
- Minors using the pool or lake must be accompanied and supervised by an adult.
- A canoe is available for guests, but passengers must know how to swim and wear a PFD (personal flotation device) at all times.
We will consider allowing dogs on a case-by-case basis. There are nearby kennels for cats, but they aren't allowed in the cabin. We require a fee of $10 per night to accommodate dogs. This fee covers up to 2 dogs for 1 night. Prospective guests must select to pay the Pet Fee from the booking options when making their reservation. We don't accept cash to pay for this fee. Our policy for allowing dogs is is that they be house-broken, that damage to the cabin or property be absolutely prevented at all times, that they not be allowed on any furniture or bed, that they be kept on a lead/leash when outside the cabin, that they be given frequent opportunities to relieve themselves outdoors and picked up after, that they be crated if left alone in the cabin (and not left alone for more than a couple of hours at a time), that they be free of any sickness that could be passed to other pets, and that they be current on their flea medication. If the property is damaged by the dog (including urine on furniture or floor), or if there is a flea problem after check-out, it will be paid for from the Security Deposit that's required. Before your check-out we may do a walk-through with you to verify there were no problems, so neither party will be surprised to learn of something afterward. Our guests must agree to strict compliance with all these points, for the protection of the property, for the comfort of future guests, and for the well-being of your own pet. Dog supplies (bowls, beds, leashes, crates, etc.) aren't provided and must be brought by the guest. Guests may not allow pets to eat from Cabin tableware or kitchenware under any circumstances. If all of the above is agreeable to you then you are welcome to bring your dog(s).